November 14, 2008

A Bone to Pick...

Earlier today I was reading a web article that stirred me. Yesterday, a large fire started in Montecito, CA (it's fire season), and the article was on CBSNews.com. Following the article, random people can post comments on the story, about the story. Often, those who comment get a little off topic about the story that was posted and this one was no exception. As I read the comments that several had posted, I got frustrated. People began commenting about how California deserved to burn. They referred to the Liberal attitudes of the people and how many of the homes that had burned so far, belonged to wealthy people who could afford to lose everything. What's more, almost exclusively, those hurling judgemental accusations were doing so in the name of God. Ignorance. These posts disturbed me greatly. I could rant about the fact that many "non-West Coasters" don't realize that California is a rather large state and contains more than pot-smoking hippies & celebrity drama. Or I could mention that most people that I have met during my time here are more genuine and kind-hearted than the people that I have met in so many other places. Including places that claim southern hospitality. I could talk about the fact that in general, I have found that those who love Jesus, truly serve Him. It seems that they haven't known Him long enough to let religion get in their way. I could EVEN write about how it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, losing possessions in a fire is devestating. Family albums, keepsakes, grandmother's rocking chair, even the perfect dining room set; cannot be replaced so easily with a hefty insurance check.
But instead, I will just remain frustrated. The fact is, California may not be the promised land, but it is not Sodom and Gomorrah, either. There are good people everywhere. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
-ABliss

No comments:

Post a Comment