November 22, 2010

Still Thankful

Mmm, Christmas is in the air! My coffe has a cinnamon creamer. My Christmas tree is up, my home is decorated with shiny tinsel. The nativity scene my grandmother got me is on the end table. Pandora Radio is singing "O Holy Night". It's November 22nd.

Once upon a time, Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday. I would have 2, sometimes 3, Thanksgiving feasts in one day. The holiday was filled with food, family, and football...The big 3. As I've grown up, however, I've moved far from my family and this holiday season is a busy one in my current occupation. It's become nearly impossible to go home for Thanksgiving. Because of that, I may be a bit bitter about this holiday. My first Thanksgiving in California, I cried the whole time I cooked my Green Bean Casserole. I'm much less homesick in general around this time of year, but I can't help feeling like Thanksgiving just isn't what it used to be for me.

However, just because I'm not SUPER into Thanksgivng, don't think I'm not thankful...I'm thankful for Christmas! Jk, I'm genuinely thankful for a million things. In fact as thankfulness goes, I'm at the top of the class. I'm prepped and ready for a fun-filled Thanksgiving dinner with my favorite Canadian friends on Thursday.

This is not a pity-party. Oh, it's certaintly not. It's actually the opposite of that - I've found a whole new appreciation for Christmas. On top of celebrating the precious birth of my Saviour, enjoying the unity of the giving season, and Starbucks holiday drinks, this year, Christmas means family! I'm going home in a couple weeks and after Christmas, my in-laws are coming here to visit us.  Spending Christmas and the New Year with my family is the best Christmas gift I can recieve.

And so, some may scoff at my premature Christmas spirit, but with every Starbucks Caramel Apple Cider, I inch closer to my new favorite holiday. Everytime I hear Bing Crosby sing The Christmas Song, I get giddy with excitement. And with as much uncertainty as our lives hold, I love the certainty that in 32 days, 12 hours, 1 minutes and 27 seconds, Christmas will be here. I'm thankful, for all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment